Thursday, March 1, 2012

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

  Well, we have decided to stay one more year!!  We are enjoying our new life here in Oakura, and we can hardly believe that we have been here 9 months. And the thought of packing up in 3 months and moving back to the states to start all over again, is not very appealing. It has been such a huge adjustment picking up our family of 5 and moving halfway across the world, and it took so much energy and emotion, that we want to stay one more year and enjoy all that this beautiful country has to offer. And the truth be known, I am pretty sure my husband knew all along that we would be staying two years considering he attained a two year work permit and two year visa's. He is a smart man, he knew that once he got us over here, we would fall in love with the lifestyle and agree to two years. And if he would  originally tried to sell us on coming for two years than we might not of come at all, because I would not of considered leaving my dog for two years. But now I agree that the benefits our family are gaining from this experience outweigh being away from our dog 1 more year. And there are still many places in NZ and surrounding countries that we want to visit, and there are still way to many crazy Kiwi adventures that we need to check off our list. For example, Bungee Jumping, we were in Taupo last weekend with Mom and Dad and went to check out the Taupo Bungee Jumping. And THANK GOD that Lindsey was just 5 pds. shy of the weight requirement, so she was not allowed to jump. She, of course, wanted to go back to the Bach eat some steak and chips, put some rocks in her pocket, put on some heavy boots, a heavy coat and  have them weigh her again. She has no fear, but her Mom however was shaking in her boots just watching these folks jump off the platform, so I decided out of the kindness of my heart that I could not jump while my 12 year has to sit and watch. Whew, lucky me adrenaline rush adverted until Lindsey gains some lbs!! Brad has already bungee jumped off a hot air ballon in CO, so he thinks he doesn't have to do it again, BUT if I am going to be throwing myself off a platform into a giant space below, his ass is doing it too! But anyway back to another year in NZ. Our family life has changed since since our move here and I did not appreciate it until I opened up my old calendar from last year and literallly shuttered when I saw the lines and lines of daily scheduled programs and obligations. Well intended parents (like me) sign up their kids for sports and recreational activities because we don't want them to "miss out", and ironically all the scheduling and transporting kids from activities makes families more financially stressed and and less available to spend time together. Kids get so accustomed to be told what to do, when and how to do it that they get "bored" when they find themselves with free time. Our family was like this before we came to NZ, and it may be us again when we go back to the states, but I hope not. This time here has reinforced for us the importance of free time and family time. I watch Lindsey in particular as she revels in being a kid. She will be turning 13 in July, but yet she still does imaginary play with her siblings and I watch the other girls her age at the school play jump rope during tea time. Her 6th/7th grade friends back home meanwhile are managing a mountain of homework, spending time on facebook and cell phones, and worrying about who's dating who. What a gift, I realize with gratitude, that this year has extended her childhood by a year. And has given us more time to enjoy her, and really get to know her. It may be that we are just delaying the inevitable, and that she will become a teen overnight as soon as she is sucked back into the pressures of the school systems back in the states. I hope that this time we have given her, she will be better equipped to navigate the pressure of adolescence- two years of living more simply, and becoming more self-relaint while seeing how people in other parts of the world live. But on the flip side of this decision there are some concerns. The kids are honestly not super overjoyed with being here for one more year. My younger two don't understand that even when we do head back to the USA, it will not be Kansas. Owen still imagines us back in Wilshire South playing with his old neighborhood buddies. Skyler doesn't like the idea of being so far away from her Grandma, and Lindsey just wants to be with KD. And I really miss my stuff, and by that I mean my home furnishings. I never thought I would feel this way about "stuff", but I do. I wish I could have my kitchen table or my favorite mirror to put above our sofa, or our ski pictures from our basement. All these things make me happy, and would help to make this rental house feel more like a home. And so as much as I may make light of this decision, it did not come easy to the kids and I. But I do know in my heart that we will all come away from this experience a happier and healthier family. And this extra year also gives all those friends of our another 12 months to get your bums (a polite kiwi way of saying butt) out here, and come visit one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Yes, I know it is expensive to get here, but it will be a trip of a lifetime and it will create lasting memories for your family. Plus my family doesn't call me Julie McCoy for nothing, we will show you a great time, bungee cord jumping and all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment