Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oakura

The last few days we have had some beautiful blue sky days and so in between running and riding bikes I wanted to take some pictures of town in which we get to call home for the next year. The population of Oakura is 1,400 and we have our own newsletter called the "Oakura Messenger" which is a monthly publication. We are well known for our beach-Oakura Beach. One of only 3 beaches on the West coast of NZ which is north facing. I just read that there was a tornado here in July 2007 that damaged 60 houses, and we thought we were moving AWAY from Tornado Alley. Yikes...




Add caption
This is the local coffee shop that has the most delicious coffee. The beans are imported, and then they roast their own beans here in NZ. I know that is also how we do coffee in good ole USA. I don't know why it taste so much better, it just does. Maybe it has something to do with the location, location , location!! We usually order a "flat white", which is basically a latte. A single shot and microfoam milk. They do not serve a typical American coffee, most of the coffee has milk added. It comes in an 8 oz. cup and cost $4.50. Good morning buzz!!
                                                              This is our Fast Food. 



                                                      
The surf shop. The owner has two huge Newfoundlands named "Ralph", and "CoCo" that lay on the front porch. Lindsey stops on her way home from school everyday to love on the dogs. The little camper on the right serves coffee in the summer, and there is a little half pipe in the front that Owen like to ride his bike on. We plan on getting some surfboards from here for the summer, so we can all try surfing. Brad and I went to a "Surf Camp" in Costa Rica a few years ago but we are still very much beginners. The kids have only boogie boarded and so we all have lots to learn. 

                                                    The grocery store called "Four Squares". We only live a quarter mile from here so I let the kids ride their bikes up here by themselves and get a treat. They call candy here "lollies" so Skyler thinks it super cool to come here sans Mom and get a lollie. 











This is an adorable gift shop and behind it is an old Caboose that a Mom and daughter have turned into a little Cafe. Sorry about the lighting in those picture, I am trying to learn how to use our Super nice camera but I still have a WAYS to go. 





            The Spa and Yep I have already been to visit! Even though it was just for an eyebrow wax. I cannot write about services I do not know about so I NEED to get a massage and facial so I can write about it on the blog :) The eyebrow wax was actually very painful!! She gave me no warning of ripping off the wax nor did she apply any soothing pressure or gel after the "ripping action". I definitely missed Pam's and Scott's gentle touch. Maybe I am just getting more wimpy as I approach 40! It was fun though to get to ride my bike up to the Spa and not have to drive.  




                                                 This is Butler's Reef the local pub.

                                                           The nicer cafe in town. 






This is the Oakura river which is located on the North end of town. It is a safe river for the kids to kayak and swim and it flows right into the Tasman Sea. We live just to the left of the river and on the right is a Rugby Field and some great places to picnic. We have already logged in hrs. exploring the mouth of the river as this is where we walk to everyday from our house. Skyler's goal is to go to the beach everyday while we are living in NZ. 



The playground which is right across the street from the beach. To the left is a skate board park. There is a group of about 6-7 boys (age 10) that bring their scooters to the park and can do some pretty cool tricks. Owen loves to go and watch and try and copy the older boys. I am betting he learns a trick or two this year. 
I am not sure what all the Boardriders Club has to offer, but we hope to real soon. 







I love the benches down by the Boardriders Club they are all shaped like surfboards. 





Stand up Paddle Surfing is an emerging water sport. There were about 5 or 6 guys doing it today @ Oakura Beach. It originated in Hawaii. Unlike surfing it is very easy to learn and it allows for a better view of incoming waves. It is supposedly more popular with women because of their lower center of gravity. Mmmm, maybe a sport I could pick up faster than Brad and get better than him-Yea Right, wishful thinking on my part!!!!


Just another picture I took today of Mt.Taranaki because it looked so awesome without any clouds nearby. 







No comments:

Post a Comment